Saturday, December 03, 2005

SF& Crystal's wedding dinner

Just came back not long ago from Jon's good friend wedding dinner. It was quite an awarkward dinner for me, and I was lamenting that I should have gone over to Priya's house for dinner instead. Saw a few familiar faces whom Jon brought me to meet before but the setting was still quite awarkward. Not only beacause I was like a complete stranger to half the people at my table and also someone else that I know was there. Can't believe it, the world is so small. He was from the same secondary school as Jon.

This someone traced back all the way to uni year 1 when I took a science foundation module. He was a group mate of a friend whom I normally hang around with in year 1. Non-coincidentally, my friend liked him. I can't remember exactly how but the three of us ended going for the science bash at zouk (I think it's zouk, can't rem...) and then he asked me out after that. We met a few occasions thereafter and he just stopped calling me. A few weeks later, I found out he was attached. The conclusion I drew was that he was going out with me & his girlfriend at the same time. I felt so disgusted that I never want to have anything to do with him again.
A year later or so, he called me up again to tell me that he and his girlfriend were facing some problems. (What has it got to do with me?!) The only thing I could think of was that he was trying to find a substitute and just in case his girlfriend dumped him, he has a new catch. This is not just my pure imagination but he had history of such unethical act, ie, he found a new target and then dumped his girlfriend. My response to him throughout the phone converstaion was hostile; content wise I can't remember much.

As he didn't know many of the people there, he chose to sit beside me. Ok, there I was sitting in between my bf & a jerk. Had to 'entertain' him nonetheless. Haiz. He changed quite a bit since the last time I saw him. He looked haggard and had gain some weight. No more car for him too, only public transport although his new business of cyber gaming is thriving. The topics that he raised were the same old ones: work, money, girlfriend & church. Btw, I was a baby Christian when I knew him. I really can't see eye to eye with him particurlarly when he said he doesn't believe in fellowship & the way people grow spiritually. He claimed that he's better off on his own without connecting with the body of Christ. I can't believe it! For the entire conversation, I was super duper direct and didn't care whether my words hurt him or otherwise.

I think I'm crazy but I felt triumphant when I was peeling prawn shells for Jon in front of him when Jon was away trying to arrange people for photo shots. Guess I was still feeling sore about how he used to comment how I can better improve my looks and all the crap that he subjected me to. Anyway, I am glad that I attended the dinner with Jon as my bf and not that someone.

Besides that someone, the topics that the gals talked about totally made me sick. They (married women) were mainly discussing about when to have babies. That totally freaked me out. It's like an alien topic to me and I felt like a little girl in their midst.
Other than the baby topic, most of them were using this chance to build social contacts by exchanging name cards and finding out about each other's job.
I guess all these issues are inevitable when we hit that age but for now, the thought of all these babies and soical contact make me quiver.

I think I'm falling sick. Compliment of viruses aerosols from Jon's sneezes.

No comments: