Friday, October 29, 2010

Week 38

This week's checkup seems so surreal. Even doc said "so fast huh". Detector picked up rather regular contractions which were mild (in my opinion) and in normal circumstance, like this morning, I thought they were just baby's brief movements.

Doc went on to check dilation and effacement of cervix which was rather uncomfortable and slightly painful. Baby's head can be felt right at the opening of the cervix. A quick cervical check revealed that I was already 1cm dilated, meaning I'm already in the latent /early phase of labour, where cervix dilates from 0 to 3cm! Golly. First stage!

Once active labour, i.e the second phase begins, regular contractions set in and cervix will continue to dilate from 4 to 7cm. By this stage, most women will already be in hospital , with intuition telling them that baby's checking out really soon.

By the time transistion labour occurs, cervix will dilate from 8 to 10cm. Thereafter it'll be the pushing and delivering of baby, and finally the delivery of placenta.

Right. I'm nearing the finishing point.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hey girl,
Anytime now, huh? It is surreal! I've never read a pre-labour process in such detail before. It's an eye-opener. Don't worry too much okay? You'll see your chubby baby soon!